On Friday, September 8, Morocco experienced a devastating earthquake, registering 6.8 on the Richter scale. More than 2,000 lives have been lost, and thousands more have been injured. The earthquake inflicted extensive damage across the High Atlas region, which is in close proximity to the historic city of Marrakech.
As in so many disasters, women and girls are disproportionately impacted. A significant portion of the affected population has been left without shelter, basic necessities (such as food), and access to clean, safe drinking water. The geographic terrain has compounded the difficulties in reaching those in need, further intensifying the humanitarian crisis.
Vital Voices is urging the following actions:
- Fund local organizations: We are encouraging individuals to give directly to women-led organizations dedicated to providing essential relief items, such as food, clean water, shelter, and hygiene kits. A suggested list of local organizations is listed below.
- Direct support to women leaders: Vital Voices is mobilizing its Crisis Response Fund to support individual women leaders who are at the community level as they respond to the crisis and rebuild. You can contribute to this effort by donating here.
- Mobilize our network: Vital Voices is working with our worldwide network of women leaders to provide long-term mentorship, partnership, and assistance to women in the affected area as they lead the effort to respond and recover.
- Pass the Message: Help us amplify our impact by sharing this appeal with your friends, family, and colleagues. More awareness means more support for those most affected – and ultimately can save lives.
Support Local Organizations:
You can positively impact the humanitarian relief efforts by providing financial support to some or all the following local women-led organizations:
- Amal Women’s Training Center is a local, women-led, non-profit organization that is quickly pivoting to provide food and critical assistance to those in the impacted area. Before the earthquake, the organization worked to empower women through entrepreneurship and culinary training.
Link to donate
- The Moroccan Biodiversity and Livelihoods Association (MBLA) is a woman-led non-profit organization operating in the High Atlas Mountains with over a decade of empowerment efforts in the region. In response to the earthquake, MBLA, in partnership with Global Diversity Foundation, is mobilizing their efforts to provide emergency relief and other lifesaving supplies to some of the most difficult-to-reach villages impacted by the crisis. They are also assisting other aid organizations in navigating the terrain.
Link to donate
- JOOD is a woman-led organization that has mobilized its team to collect and distribute essential items such as clothing and medicine to those in need. JOOD has extensive experience in crisis management, specifically for the unhoused.
Link to donate
We firmly believe that, together, we can make a difference in the lives of those affected by this crisis. Your compassion and generosity will provide comfort, relief, and a path toward recovery for those in desperate need.
Thank you for standing with us in solidarity during this critical time.
Photo credit: Moroccan Biodiversity and Livelihoods Association (MBLA)