Vital Voices Global Partnership (“we,” “us” or “Vital Voices”) is committed to protecting any personal information that you provide to us through websites owned and operated by Vital Voices, including www.vitalvoices.org (collectively the “Site”). We believe it is important for you to know how we protect your personal information to deliver you the best user experience possible.
The Site contains links to other websites. Once you enter another website (whether through an advertisement, service, or content link), be aware that Vital Voices is not responsible for the privacy practices of these other sites. We encourage you to look for and review the privacy statements of each and every website that you visit through a link or advertisement on the Site.
1. Information We Collect
We collect two types of information about you when you visit our Site: personally identifiable information and non-personal, aggregate information (such as information regarding the pages on our Site that you have visited and your IP address).
(A) Personally Identifiable Information
"Personally Identifiable Information" is information that identifies you personally, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, or company name. We collect and store the personal information that you have provided to us. Here are some examples of manners in which we may collect your personally identifiable information on the Site:
- When you register access any features on the Site, including any chat rooms or other interactive pages, you will be required to give some personal information to participate, such as your first and last name and email address;
- We may collect your email address if you contact us with a question or seek more information about one of the services or events described on the Site;
- We may collect your name, email address and billing information if you make a donation via the Site or seek to become a Partner or Sponsor via the Site;
- We may collect your email address, first and last name, address, zip code and pertinent billing information if you register for an event on the Site;
- We may collect your email address if you sign up for an online newsletter or other mailers distributed to visitors to the Site;
- We may collect your email address if you contact us with a question; and
- We may collect your first and last name, date of birth and email address if you choose to participate in a promotion.
(B) Non-Personally Identifiable Information
"Non-personally identifiable information" can be technical information or it can be demographic information, such as your age, gender or your interests. Even if you do not register with Vital Voices, we collect non-personally identifiable information about your use of the Site. Non-personally identifiable information does NOT identify you personally. Here are some examples of the non-personally identifiable information that is collected via the Site and a description of how this information is used:
- Internet Protocol (IP) address -- Your IP address is a number that lets computers attached to the Internet know where to send you data -- such as the webpages you view. We use this information to deliver our webpages to you upon request, to tailor our Site to the interests of our users and to measure traffic within our Site.
- Cookie -- A "cookie" is a small text file that may be used to collect information about your activity on the Site. You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser, but if you do, you may not be able to take advantage of the personalized features enjoyed by other users to our Site.
- Demographic Information -- "Demographic Information" may be your gender, age, zip code and interests, which you voluntarily provide to us on the Site. We use this information to provide you with personalized services and to analyze trends to ensure the information provided by the Site meets your needs.
The above list provides an example of the non-personally identifiable information that is collected via the Site. We may, at times, collect information in manners that are not described above.
2. Use and Disclosure of Personally Identifiable and Non-Personally Identifiable Information
(A) Personally Identifiable Information
We may share or disclose your personal information in the following instances:
(i) To fulfill a service to you. For example, if you sign up for an event or program on the Site, we may have to use and share your information in order to fulfill this request. We also may have to share your information in the event you sign up for any promotion or other offering via the Site, in order to fulfill the terms of that promotion or offering. In addition, if you sign up for a newsletter on the Site, we may also have to use your personally identifiable information to provide you with the newsletter.
(iii) To affiliates, strategic partners, agents, third party marketers or other unaffiliated parties who are offering services, data or other information that we believe may be beneficial to you or otherwise are in furtherance of the mission of Vital Voices. These parties may use your personally identifiable information to contact you with an offer or advertisement related to a product or service, or they may use such information for their own research, administration or business purposes. If you do not want us to share your personally identifiable information in this manner, please do not provide us with this information.
(iv) To unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain our Site and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, order processing and fulfillment, providing customer service, maintaining and analyzing data, sending customer communications on our behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfillment for any promotions.
(v) To complete a donation or to fulfill a request for sponsorship. If you choose to make a donation of money through the Site or otherwise become a Sponsor, we may collect from you your credit card number, billing address and other information to fulfill your request. This information will be provided to an unaffiliated third party that will process your donation and credit your account. Vital Voices will not store such data and, in the event it chooses to store such data or conduct any of its own credit card processing, it will notify you at the time of collection of such data.
(vi) To comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or property or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users.
(vii) To third parties as part of any corporate reorganization process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, or sales of all or substantially all of our assets.
(viii) To track and analyze non-identifying and aggregate usage and volume statistical information from our visitors and customers and provide such information to third parties.
(ix) To protect against potential fraud, we may verify with third parties the information collected from this Site. In the course of such verification, we may receive personally identifiable information about you from such services. In particular, if you use a credit card or debit card on the Site, we may use card authorization and fraud screening services to verify that your card information and address matches the information that you supplied to us, and that the card has not been reported as lost or stolen.
(x) To handle any physical or other type of threat made to you or others, to protect property or to defend or assert legal rights.
(B) Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Non-personally identifiable information is used as described in Section I(B) and in other ways as permitted by applicable laws, including combining non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information.
3. User Name and Password
Certain parts of the Site will require you to register and obtain a password in order to enjoy the services offered on the applicable pages of the Site. When you try to access features of the Site that require registration, you may be prompted to input your username and password information.
4. Email Communication from Vital Voices
When you participate in certain services and activities, you will have the option of signing up to receive emails from Vital Voices as reminders or notifications. You may also unsubscribe to any emails that you receive from Vital Voices by clicking the “UNSUBSCRIBE” button at the bottom of the email.
5. Suggestions You Make to Vital Voices
6. Public Areas of the Site
Certain places within the Site, such as online communities, forums, blog pages or other public areas, may allow users to post comments or communications that are publicly accessible and non-confidential. The views expressed in content appearing in discussion forums are entirely those of the originators, and should not be attributed in any manner to Vital Voices, its affiliated organizations, or members of its Board of Directors or the organizations they represent.
Any information shared, including personally identifiable information, that you reveal in these public areas is not going to be maintained as private and will be accessible to the public. Please note that any information you include in a message you post to any chat room, forum or other public posting area is available to anyone with Internet access. If you don't want people to know your e-mail address, for example, don't include it in any message you post publicly. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DISCLOSING ANY INFORMATION IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE BY OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION THAT YOU DISCLOSE IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS.
7. Children Under the Age of 13
Neither Vital Voices nor any of its services are designed or intended for children under the age of 13. We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person we actually know is under the age of 13. If we do determine that a child under the age of 13 has submitted information to Vital Voices, we will delete it.
8. Links to Third Party Sites
9. How Vital Voices Handles Privacy and Security Internally
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you understand that any information that you transfer to us is done at your own risk.
We take all reasonable measures to ensure that your personally identifiable information remains as secure as reasonably possible. Here are some of the security procedures that Vital Voices uses to protect your privacy:
- Uses firewalls to protect information held in our servers.
- Utilizes Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption in transmitting Personally Identifiable Information to our servers.
If we learn of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the Site or providing personally identifiable information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of these Site. We may post a notice on our Site if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security