Twenty-four policy-makers and political advocates to join 10-month fellowship to increase women’s political leadership and further the Sustainable Development Goals
October 2019 – The VVEngage Fellowship is announcing its 2019-2020 Fellows, who will participate in the yearlong program supporting outstanding women political leaders making and influencing policy across the globe.
Through this fellowship, we aim to increase the capacity, decision-making power and effectiveness of women leaders in politics and government, shifting culture around women’s public leadership and moving towards equality in public representation globally. We also aim to work towards a more inclusive and equitable world by advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through policy.
The women selected for the 2019-2020 VVEngage cohort are:
- Tamara Adrián, Member of Parliament, Venezuela
- Wa Ode Asmawati, Commissioner, Information Commission of Jakarta, Indonesia
- Oana Bîzgan, Member of Parliament, Romania
- Rosana Cueva, Investigative Journalist, Panorama, Peru
- Daniela Damaris Viteri Custodio, Legal Advisor, Ministry of Women and Vulnerable Populations, Peru
- Isata Kabia, Director, Voice of Women-Sierra Leone, Sierra Leone
- Mimoza Kusari Lila, Member of Parliament/Party President, Alternativa, Kosovo
- Virginia Muradzikwa, Member of Parliament, Zimbabwe
- Susana Muhamad, Promoter, Activist, and Coordinator; Colombia Humana and Se Acaba El Tiempo, Colombia
- Leba Nabou, General Secretary, National Federation Party, Fiji
- Immaculate Nalwadda, Youth Councilor, Kampala City Council Authority, Uganda
- Gülseren Onanç, Founder and Spokesperson, Equality, Justice, Women Platform, Turkey
- Rachel Reese, Mayor, Nelson, New Zealand
- Clara Rojas González, Consultant, Consultoria CR SAS, Colombia
- Iona Rothfeld, Founder and Director, National Women’s Soccer Players Association in Chile (ANJUFF), Chile
- Fernanda San Martín Carrasco, Member of Parliament, Bolivia
- Jothimani Sennimalai, Member of Parliament, India
- Mersiha Smailovikj, President, LEGIS, North Macedonia
- Aura Leticia Teleguario Sincal, Special Advisor on Corporate and Inter-Agency Relationships, UN Women Guatemala/Consultant for Educations program, Tigo Foundation, Guatemala
- Tanzila Umi Habiba, Member of Sindh Provincial Assembly, Pakistan
- Phumzile Van Damme, Member of Parliament, South Africa
- Paolina Vercoutere, Councilor, Municipality of Otavalo, Ecuador
- Rebekah Warren, State Representative, Michigan Legislature, United States
- Kholoud Wattar Kassem, Founder and President, Lebanese Women Towards Decision Making, Lebanon
- Sartiah Yusran, Coordinator of Postgraduate Public Health Program, University of Halu Oleo Kendari, Indonesia
These fellows will participate in online and in-person trainings with experts such as women leaders from the Vital Voices Global Network and professors from Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government. The fellowship will also connect these participants to a global network of peers and mentors, such as current and former female heads of state with the Council of Women World Leaders, with whom they can brainstorm and share challenges and best practices.
To learn more about VVEngage, the Fellows or their trainings, please visit this site.