Ixlem is a young Kiche Mayan originally from Cantel Quetzaltenango. Ixlem is an Administrative Engineer and is currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Reengineering and Assurance Technologies. Since she was a child, Ixlem has demonstrated her leadership in various spaces. Her greatest passion is education and the search for dignified and quality opportunities for all. Ixlem is the founder of the Sanik project, which has 3 work pillars:
1. Reinforcement of science, reading, and mathematics classes for 5th and 6th-grade children at the Aldea El Manzanillo School in San Lucas Sacatepéquez benefiting 72 students.
2. Training of public sector teachers in pedagogical, psychological, technological, and administrative issues with more than 400 teachers reached from different departments of the country.
3. Management of technological aid to young people of basic and bachelors’ level of the INEB, Telesecundaria e Instituto por Cooperativa (Secondary School and Institute for Cooperative) from San Lucas Sacatepequez working with 6 students. Among Ixlem’s many achievements, the following are the most noteworthy:
1. Founder and Executive Director of Proyecto Sanik since 2019.
2. Winner of the National Youth Leadership Award provided by CONJUVE and Youth Challenge in the education category.
3. Winner of the Vital Voices’ scholarship Voices that Inspire in Argentina in 2019.
4. Recognized in the book “”Entre Chapinas”” by Look Magazine in 2018 for being one of the 50 outstanding women in Guatemala.
5. Publishing of her first opinion piece at the age of 8 in Prensa Libre (local Guatemalan newspaper) directed at the Ministra de Educación (Minister of Education) expressing her disagreement that classes began at the end of February.
6. Mentor to the 2021 Voices that Inspire cohort.
7. Current representative of the indigenous woman in her community as Ali Ixkik re Estancia 2021-2021.
América was selected as a participant in the 2019 Voces Que Inspiran.