Vice President, Principal Gifts
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-profit organization. We invest in women leaders who are tackling the world’s greatest challenges – from gender-based violence to the climate crisis, economic inequities, and more. We are “venture catalysts,” identifying leaders with a daring vision for change and partnering with them to make that vision a reality. What sets Vital Voices apart is that we make long-term, holistic investments in leaders with bold ideas for change — providing them connections, capacity, a network of their peers, financial support, and visibility for their work. We have provided early support for leaders who went on to become Nobel Peace Laureates, US Youth Poet Laureates, Prime Ministers, award winning innovators and breakthrough social entrepreneurs. Over the past 24 years, we have directly invested in more than 20,000 change-makers across 184 countries, who in turn have improved the lives of millions of people in their communities and countries.
Today, Vital Voices has a staff of nearly 80 headquartered in Washington, DC. We’ve recently been working to dramatically scale our impact in accordance with our bold vision. In early 2022, we opened the first ever Global Headquarters for Women’s Leadership, a 30,000+ sq. ft. historic building just blocks from the White House on 16th Street. It is a hub of activity, events, and collaborations — bringing together women leaders and their allies to tackle the world’s greatest challenges.
Vital Voices invests in women leaders taking on the world’s greatest challenges and accelerates collective action towards an equitable and sustainable world.
Organizational Goals 2030
- Scale our proven investment model from 20,000 to 50,000 women leaders – who together will positively impact the lives of one billion people.
- Make a measurable impact on 1-2 of the greatest challenges as defined by the Vital Voices Global Network – proving the power of collective action.
This newly created position will be responsible for growing the Vital Voices 100 million Dollar Impact fund on our growing and dynamic Development team. The Vice President, Principal Gifts will develop and manage a portfolio of high-net worth donors aligned with Vital Voices values to scale our impact towards our 2030 Goal. This senior leader must be a connected, highly motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and a passion for our work.
This position is based in Washington, DC with and requires two days per week in the VVHQ.
- Secure at least ten unrestricted principal gifts of US$1 million or more from new donors towards the Vital Voices US$100 million Impact Fund
- Cultivate a pipeline of 50+ new major donors (with capacity to give US$1 million or more in unrestricted funds)
- Grow the Crisis Response fund to 3 x its current size of 1.5 million by securing new major donor commitments to the Fund
- Structure and take to market a new “Big Bets” fund to support transformational grants to women changemakers
- Secure a new anchor donor to start building a dedicated fund towards a media grantmaking portfolio
- Develop a best in class planned giving/legacy offering for major donors
- Diversify Vital Voices donor base to support the organization’s evolving international operating model and Board diversification
- Ensure major gift donors are effectively transitioned to a robust stewardship and reporting experience
- Work hand in hand with Communications and Marketing to drive donor ambassadorship for the work of Vital Voices
- Support the evolution of the Vital Voices Development strategy and the role of Principal Gifts within it
- Leadership and Board engagement: As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, role model Vital Voices mission and values at all times – collaborating closely with colleagues across the organization and with the Vital Voices Board.
- Strategy: Make a meaningful contribution to Vital Voices organizational strategy and planning, and lead the creation, delivery, tracking and adjustment of a major donor acquisition strategy – in collaboration with colleagues across the Vital Voices team..
- Donor identification and cultivation: Lead the ongoing identification and cultivation of new major gift donors and equip Vital Voices team members to participate in these efforts, ensuring that the Vital Voices brand is known favorably in prominent philanthropic circles around the world.
- Sales: Convert new major donors to secure Principal Gifts in support of the Vital Voices strategy.
- Stewardship and reporting: Inform the Development team’s approach to stewardship and reporting for major donors, ensuring that it meets the expectations of the donor base and therefore drives donor retention and ambassadorship.
- Product development: Develop new fundraising products e.g. “Big Bets” fund, planned giving offering, to support the funding needs of the organizational strategy and to offer donors a best in class suite of ways to contribute.
- International philanthropy: Build the organization’s understanding of the operational requirements to accept non-USA philanthropic contributions, and work hand in hand with Finance and Operations to be responsive to non-USA contributions where strategic.
- Corporate donors: Work with colleagues in the Development team to define and deliver an integrated approach to major donors who can champion Vital Voices within their company or employee base.
- Budget management: Play an active role in the annual budget setting process and ensure that cost per $ raised is in line with or below industry standards.
- Good governance: Support the organization’s efforts to maintain Vital Voices’ reputation as a charity of choice for donors across segments, including ensuring that the organization maintains the best ratings with e.g. Charity Navigator.
- Demonstrable commitment to the mission of Vital Voices
- 15+ years of fundraising experience within global non-profits
- Proven experience of Principal Gift fundraising, from product development to sales
- Proven ability to develop and deliver on multi-million $ fundraising products
- Up to date understanding of best in class fundraising, reporting and stewardship practices
- Up to date understanding of the legal and governance requirements of a 501(c)(3) organization
- Exceptional relationship management and communication skills
- A preference for collaborative working
- Strong digital communications skills
- Understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals and/or the issues affecting women and girls worldwide
- Relevant experience within a philanthropic or corporate organization
- Fluency in 1-2 UN languages beyond English
This position is a full-time exempt hybrid position based in Washington, DC with two days of required in person attendance at the Vital Voices Headquarters. If and when it is safe to travel, domestic and international travel may be required for the position.
The starting salary range for this position is $134,010 – $163,790 based on experience and ability to have broad impact early. The compensation package includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k match, and generous PTO including wellness flex days, generous parental leave, earned sabbatical time, and volunteer leave as well as short- and long-term disability, life insurance, HSA, EAP, and a professional development stipend.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Staff may experience secondary trauma due to exposure to descriptive and/or graphic gender-based violence content in their work on the urgent assistance program. Vital Voices does not provide work visa sponsorship or relocation assistance for this position.
How to Apply:
Click the following link: https://jobso.id/gqzi
Applications that do not include the following will not be considered for review:
· Salary expectations
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.