Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-governmental organization (NGO) dedicated to working with women throughout the world to provide the support and tools they need to have a positive impact in their communities. Through mentoring programs, leadership trainings and individualized support, Vital Voices provides credibility, builds capacity and enhances connections for emerging and established women leaders internationally.
Vital Voices invests in women leaders who are solving the world’s toughest challenges – from gender-based violence to the climate crisis, economic inequities, and more. We are “venture catalysts,” identifying those with a daring vision for change and partnering with them to make that vision a reality. We scale and accelerate impact through long term investments to expand skills, connections, capacity, and visibility. Over the last 24 years, we have built a network of 18,000 change makers across 182 countries, each of whom are daring to reimagine a more equitable world for all.
Today, Vital Voices has a staff of 80 headquartered in Washington, DC. In the past few years, we have expanded our remote team with staff members living across the country and globally. In the next few years, we intend to expand our reach and scale our impact by growing our staff to meet the dynamic needs of our team and network women in this evolving landscape.
We are seeking a passionate individual to support the Finance and Operations team as our Spring 2023 Intern to contribute to this dynamic organization that reaches out to women across the globe. This position will report to the Operations Coordinator but will play an integral role across the Operations team. The Finance and Operations Intern will primarily support the improvement and facilitation of Vital Voices Headquarters across the organization, and will also support in various operational functions such as financial and administrative support.
We are accepting interns on a part time basis. The internship requires a commitment of 20 hours a week for part-time interns. The position is unpaid, but students will receive a stipend $500 per month for part time interns and/or may receive academic credit for their experience in cooperation with their university. We are currently accepting applications for the Spring semester. Spring internships will run from January 30th through mid/late-May 2023. Interns must be in-person in our DC office, with a preference for someone capable of being in office three times a week.
- Logistical Support: Support org-wide planning and execution of initiatives, including logistical preparations, technological support, event management, and development of agendas, content, and materials for the operations team.
- Communications: Create one-pagers, concept notes, other communications documents for the Operations team.
- Operations: assist in implementing new building procedures, maintain storage ad inventory facilities, and streamline processes for staff events.
- Finance: Assist with onboarding and continuous training and data entry of Accounting and Budget software, issue weekly reports to department heads and program managers via Budget system, track monthly submissions of budget actuals and reclasses.
- DE&I Commitment: Model the Vital Voices commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to disrupt and evolve systems and behaviors that negatively impact women and BIPOC employees and network.
- Other duties as assigned.
- On-the-job training for a variety of skills
- Professional development opportunities, including regular “lunch and learn” sessions
- A chance to learn about international advocacy
- Network with professional advocates in the non-profit sphere
- Letter of recommendation upon successful completion of the internship
Majoring in Business Administration, International Studies/Relations/Affairs, History, Hospitality, or other relevant fields;
- Strong demonstrated interest in global women’s issues;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English;
- Ability to prioritize tasks, swiftly shift priorities, and work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, sometimes under difficult or challenging circumstances;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team;
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and self-awareness;
- Strong computer skills including MS Office applications (esp. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), social networking tools, and database software (i.e., Salesforce).
Experience living or studying abroad is a plus!
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, email the materials listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Operations Intern– your full name” as the subject line of the message.
Applications must include the following in order to be considered for review:
- Cover letter (optional)
- Availability (for example, if you are available part time, include the days and times when you could work)
- Two references (including contact information)
Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.