Background / Introduction:
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-governmental organization committed to working with women throughout the world to provide them with the support and tools they need to have a positive impact in their communities. Through mentoring programs, leadership trainings and individualized support, Vital Voices provides credibility, builds capacity and enhances connections for emerging and established women leaders internationally.
Project Goals and Scope of Services
Vital Voices is seeking a consultant with regional Africa expertise, and contextually-specific experience in the protection of Human Rights Defenders in conflicts zones, particularly in countries affected by Boko Haram or with a similar context. The Consultant will assess and make recommendations on overall safety and security considerations for survivors of gender-based violence (GBV) perpetrated by Boko Haram, as well as a Vital Voices partner who provides services to GBV survivors in Niger, through the Urgent Assistance Funds Program (UAF). The Consultant will develop a list of recommendations for both day-to-day operations for our partner and explicitly for the receipt of cash assistance through UAF. The consultant will also build the capacity of the partner organization’s leaders and staff in safety planning and implementation.
- Analyze partner organization’s working environment and security concerns
- Review and provide recommendations on the partner organization’s safety policies and standard operating procedures to identify their strengths, weaknesses and security threats.
- Perform interviews with partner organization’s leaders and staff in small groups to analyze the systems in place related to safety and security and how they are implemented.
- Join partner organization’s daily activities, including fieldwork to observe their work and understand the level of exposure.
- Conduct interviews with other stakeholders, such as local political authorities, law enforcement to understand the level of collaboration and protection that partner organization benefits from authorities.
- Assess risks: threats, vulnerabilities and capacities of partner organization in its activity of service provision to survivors of GBV.
- Analyze the risks specifically related to cash assistance via the UAF program.
- Produce a report containing the results of the assessment, and recommendations to the partner organization (s) to increase safety and security planning and implementation in their daily operations.
- Provide specific recommendations to Vital Voices related to safety implications of the UAF through the partner organization.
- Develop content on safety planning for GBV survivors, service provision organizations and individuals to train partner organization’s leaders and staff.
- Provide individual mentorship as requested to support security learning, organizational and behavior change strategy, and creating and integrating evolving threat assessments.
The anticipated hours needed to provide services are 10 – 20 hours per month. The expected contract duration is through August 31, 2021.
Anticipated Selection Schedule
Request for Proposal timeline as follows:
Request for Proposal Issuance: July 23, 2020
Deadline for Bidders to Submit Questions: August 24, 2020
Proposal Deadline: August 31, 2020
Start of Negotiation for Top Bidder(s): September 4, 2020
Contract Award: September 7, 2020
Time and Place of Submission of Proposals
Respondents to this request for proposal must submit their proposal to [email@example.com]. Responses must be received no later than August 31, 2020 and should be clearly marked “RFP-Safety and Security Consultant” in the subject of the email.
Questions about the RFP can be submitted to HendNafie@vitalvoices.org”
Elements of Proposal
A submission must, at a minimum, include the following elements:
- A Resume
- A no more than three page narrative outlining experiences, strengths and distinguishing skills or capabilities as they relate to the Project goals and scope of services.
- 3 professional references
- Deep expertise in the area of the critical analysis of security risks in armed conflict zones.
- Experience living/working in Africa required, in Niger or in the Sahel strongly preferred
- Knowledge and previous working experience with NGOs and international development projects
- Understanding and past experience in GBV strongly preferred
- Ability to travel to Niger once restrictions are lifted
- Professional proficiency speaking ,reading and writing in French and English required
A successful respondent will:
- Demonstrate the that is has the expertise, skills and capabilities to successfully provide the requested services
- Offer a competitive cost for services