Human Rights Program Internship – Fall 2017
We are currently accepting applications for our human rights program internship.
Organization Description: Our mission is to identify, invest in and bring visibility to extraordinary women around the world by unleashing their leadership potential to transform lives and accelerate peace and prosperity in their communities. Through leadership development and training programs around the world, Vital Voices works to expand women’s role in generating economic opportunities, increasing political participation, and protecting human rights.
Internship Description: Working closely with the human rights team, the human rights program intern will contribute to multiple aspects of Vital Voices’ programs and initiatives to end violence against women through administrative, logistical, research, and programmatic support.
This internship is a great opportunity to learn about human rights program planning and implementation as well as current, pressing global women’s issues and international women’s advocacy. Interns are encouraged to attend local conferences and events relevant to the human rights team’s work and may have the opportunity to meet leaders and advocates of women’s rights through Vital Voices events and programs.
The human rights team is looking for talented, motivated individuals to serve as interns, with preference given for those who have completed an undergraduate degree. The internship takes place in Washington D.C. and is unpaid. A commitment of at least 24 hours per week (the equivalent of three full days) is required, with preference given to those who can commit to regular hours and possibly work up to full time. Fall internships generally run from the end of August through mid-December, but internship start and end dates are flexible. We are also interested in candidates willing to commit to interning with us in both Fall 2017 and Spring 2018.
Human Rights Program Internship Responsibilities: While responsibilities vary based on the skill-level and experience of each intern, as well as the current needs of the human rights team, typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Programmatic support leading up to and following program implementation, including:
- Making logistical arrangements for staff and participant international travel
- Preparing briefing books and logistics & security binders
- Drafting, reviewing, and/or editing program materials
- Supporting monitoring and evaluation processes for programs, including creating surveys on SurveyGizmo and managing survey data entry
- Updating human rights-related resources such as program one-pagers and fact sheets
- Developing and managing organizational tools and processes
- Research support, including:
- Researching and reporting on current events and developments in laws related to violence against women in key network countries
- Drafting literature reviews on topics related to gender-based violence
- Researching travel requirements and recommendations for program host countries
- Identifying and vetting service provision organizations in regions of interest for inclusion in a global service provider directory
- Compiling “Country Context” documents based on research surrounding the laws, social and cultural norms, and historical context that impact or contribute to violence against women in program host countries
- Provide general administrative and organization support to the human rights team as needed
- Advanced proficiency or fluency in English required
- Strong preference for working proficiency or fluency in French, Spanish, Arabic, Urdu, Hindi, and/or Russian
- Demonstrated interest in women’s rights
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Computer literacy, especially with Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel
- Strong organizational skills and administrative capabilities
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work creatively, independently, and as part of a team
To apply: Please e-mail a letter of interest, resume, a writing sample (preferably of no more than 3 pages), and two reference names with contact information to email@example.com. Please use “Human Rights Internship – [Your Full Name]” as the subject of your e-mail. If you are applying for more than one internship with Vital Voices, please indicate this in your email. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and internship positions are open until filled. Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
“Invest in women. Improve the world.”