Reports To: COO
Position Location: Washington, DC
Vital Voices Global Partnership is a leading international non-governmental organization committed to working with women throughout the world to provide them with the support and tools they need to have a positive impact in their communities. Through mentoring programs, leadership trainings and individualized support, Vital Voices provides credibility, builds capacity and enhances connections for emerging and established women leaders internationally.
Vital Voices Global Partnership (www.vitalvoices.org), a leading international non-governmental organization committed to advancing women’s leadership in the areas of economic empowerment, human rights, and political participation, seeks a talented human resources professional at the Director level to work with a talented, energetic, and dedicated staff.
The Director of Human Resources will be responsible for helping Vital Voices and its team members achieve their mission by developing and implementing policies and programs including employment, compensation, benefits, recruiting, onboarding, training, and employee relations. This person will provide leadership and counsel, recommend policies and practices to the Senior Leadership Team, and ensure compliance with all federal and state laws.
The Director of Human Resources will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and will partner with the leadership team to support and develop the goals of the organization. This is a one-person HR department and is located in Washington, DC.
Duties and Responsibilities:
HR Advisor/Employee Relations:
- Functions as HR expert advisor on matters of legal and compliance issues
- Handles employee relations counseling, and facilitates conflict resolution, working with the senior leadership, managers, and employees as necessary
- Serves as a strategic advisor and passionate contributor to company leadership for all things people-related
- Acts as a trusted confidant to all employees, proactively addressing difficult employee related issues and drive to resolution
- Advises managers on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity, harassment, FMLA, etc.
Compensation, Benefits, and Compliance:
- Plans, develops and implements new and revised compensation programs, policies and procedures
- Administers wage and salary plan
- Oversees job analysis and evaluation process
- Conducts wage and salary surveys to obtain market data
- Interprets salary policies and procedures
- Provides advice to senior leadership concerning compensation practices
- Plans, develops and implements benefit programs and policies
- Conducts periodic pay surveys and gathers competitive market salary data
- Identifies emerging benefit trends and works with VP of Finance & Administration and Broker to negotiate and assure a competitive employee benefits program
- Educates employees on benefit programs to assist them in maximizing their compensation package
- Utilizes payroll and benefits provider systems to accurately maintain employee records and manage benefit selection
- Analyzes costs and negotiates/works with insurance brokers or carriers to ensure maximum coverage at minimum cost to Vital Voices and employees
- Develops and administers organizational policies and procedures that aligns with best HR practices
- Provides leadership and counsel to senior leadership, managers, and employees concerning application of policies and procedures in compliance with federal and District of Columbia laws and recommends appropriate action
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation, including Federal and District of Columbia laws
- Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to Senior Leadership and management (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions)
- Analyzes, assesses and recommends employee training and development programs, working in conjunction with team leads, managers, and training provider
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention
- Conducts independent exit interviews with employees and then initiates supporting feedback for Managers
Talent Acquisition/ Culture & Staff Development:
- Directs all employment and recruitment activities, including establishing related policies and procedures
- Develops and maintains standardized Human Resources processes for hiring, training, onboarding, departures, and evaluation processes.
- Oversees all interviewing, testing, selection, and related employment/recruitment activities
- Advances a culture of collaboration among staff
- Updates policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines; communicating and enforcing organization values
- Plans, develops, and participates in staff retreats, staff morale activities, and various program trainings
- Participates in conferences and educational opportunities; maintains professional networks, participates in professional organizations and reviews publications
- Builds relationships with a network of other human resource professionals to leverage and learn from their approaches, resources, and methods for developing talent and advancing cultural improvement
- Manages internal and external company communications in a proactive, timely manner to increase employee-owner engagement, understanding, and trust
- Leads by example and “lives” the core values of our organization
- Builds rapport with all staff
- Prepares, recommends, and manages employee records and procedures for controlling transactions and reporting data. Assures that employee records are compliant with state and federal laws
- Coordinates payroll activity with Accountant regarding benefit activity and deductions.
- Works closely with benefit brokers during open enrollment and subsequent changes in BenAdmin
Required Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, business administration or a related field
- 7+ years of progressively responsible HR experience, or Master’s degree in HRM and at least 5 years related experience
- HRCI or SHRM certification, highly desired
- HR experience in a non-profit organization
- Demonstrated experience/expertise in employment law regulations and compliance
- Experience managing benefits and claims: 403(b), medical, dental, STD, LTD, FMLA, Life and Worker’s Compensation
- Manage competing work priorities
- Remain calm and focused during periods of hectic activity
- Build professional relationships with all levels of staff
- Perform on-boarding and off-boarding activities
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to handle employee conflicts and differences by interpreting verbal/ non-verbal behavior, detecting perceptions and needs of employees, understanding and valuing employee differences
- Demonstrated business acumen and the ability to understand business strategy and goals.
- Requires working knowledge of MS Office and Payroll systems
- Ability to work independently and with a team
This position is a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, DC. Vital Voices does not provide work visa sponsorship or relocation assistance for this position.
Vital Voices provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Vital Voices complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Vital Voices expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Vital Voices’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
How to Apply:
Click the following link: https://jobso.id/buk2
Applications that do not include the following will not be considered for review:
- Cover Letter
- Salary expectations
- Three references with contact information
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. NO CALLS PLEASE. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.