Development & Communications Intern
Vital Voices is seeking up to four interns to work closely with the Development and Communications team. The candidate will have the opportunity to work as part of an integrated Development and Communications department that leverages web, e-mail, social media and traditional media outlets to guard and promote the organization’s image and thought leadership; extend its reach and cultivate supporters; explore all aspects of the fundraising pipeline from prospect research to solicitation to stewardship, provide event support, complement ongoing and event-driven media relations and fundraising activities; support women leaders in our Global Leadership Network; and promote all regional and issue-area programmatic activities. Interns are considered an essential part of the team and attend team meetings and planning sessions. The work location for these positions will be in Washington, D.C. These are non-paid positions. However, interns may receive academic credit for their internship with cooperation from their university. Working remotely is not available for this position. Fulltime internships require a minimum of 35 hours/week commitment and part-time internships require a minimum of 20 hours/week. Applications are accepted for fall, spring and summer terms.
- Prospect Research: Creating in-depth research documents on prospective funders including corporations, foundations and individuals.
- Engagement Opportunities: Supporting the Senior Events Manager in preparing for and planning organizational events. Past interns have been given ownership of significant portions of event planning.
- Database Support: Assisting in the maintenance of the organization’s donor databases
- Stewardship: Maintaining acknowledgement processes, ensuring gift acknowledgement in a timely manner
- Draft and posting social media content across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Assist with minor web edits through WordPress platform
- Track and monitor media and news
- Contribute to blog, e-newsletter and other online communications projects;
- Research and content planning;
- Other tasks as required.
- Passion for the work that Vital Voices does around the world
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program or recent university graduate
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Superior computer literacy and previous experience with social media management and multimedia creation
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and creative
- Strong interpersonal skills
Other Desired Characteristics:
- Knowledge of Salesforce or other donor management systems
- Background in fundraising
- Experience in event planning/execution
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite a plus*
Please email the following to Madeleine Boyd, Coordinator, Development and Communications, MadeleineBoyd@vitalvoices.org, and Christi Owiye, Digital Communications Coordinator, ChristiOwiye@vitalvoices.org using “DESIRED SEMESTER Communications Internship – Your FULL NAME” as the subject of your email.
- Letter of interest
- Resume indicating weekly availability and expected start/end date
- Two references with contact information
- *If applicable, please submit past graphic design portfolio.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. No phone calls please. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position open until filled. Applicants must indicate if they are available fulltime or part time. If applicant is available for part time, please note which days and times available.